Sunday, February 7, 2010

You Make Me Feel Like Dancing



I've always been a big fan of dances. It's been a big part of growing up in my family. Somebody would put on a great CD and we'd all go nuts. Some of my fondest memories are of my siblings and I dropping everything and rocking out to the Beach Boys, ABBA, Michael Jackson and so on. Nobody cared what we looked like; in fact, it was almost a competition to see who could come up with the funniest and craziest dance moves. Most of my siblings would never display this facet of our childhood in puplic, but I've never gotten over the rush of a dance party well danced. I've taken a class in everything under the sun, from ballet to bellydancing. (NO, I will NOT demostrate!) I've done it enough that I can get out on a dance floor and be 100% confident in my abilities-not that's in my nature to be self conscious anyway. I'm not a prima ballerina, but I do know how to move. Recently, my new favorite thing to do is country swing. Swing dancing in general is a flattering dance for short people because guys feel confident throwing you around. I've had some hair-raising expereinces, but all in all, I've had a ball.


This weekend my ward threw a special formal dance, with a black and white dress code and a 30's theme. It was whimsical and fun because half the dance was played with a 30's soundtrack. You know, jazzy, charleston-type stuff. The guy who asked me to this dance was a real sweetheart, a good friend of mine. He didn't know any of the dance steps, but he spent the entire night valiantly trying to learn. In the end, it proved to be a enjoyable alliance because others noticed me instructing him and came over to learn as well. By the end of the night, I was teaching several other couples. And anyone who knows me knows that I thrive of being in the limelight. So Todd, thanks for the dance, pal. You're a real peach.

He decided that he wanted to get a picture of the two us looking 'bad', but I think that just might be beyond both of us.

Mormons may be nerdy, but you can't deny that we love a good dance!

1 comment: